Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watermelon /cantaloupe leaves yellowing

Posted by heavyoilguy Z2 ALBERTA (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 10:54

I have tried for 3 years now to grow watermelons and cantaloupe in my greenhouse,Started from seed in the house, transfered to greenhouse in the original containers , plants look nice and green , flowers starting ,I have had them growing for approx a month in the greenhouse in their containers, now that I have transplanted in to the beds in greenhouse they start to yellow and slowly die off, all of my other veg grows really well , It's just these two and occasionally cuc's will do this also, I do fertilize with
10-30-10, Any help would be appreciated, getting frustrated, Thanks, James

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watermelon /cantaloupe leaves yellowing

• Posted by fruitnut Z7_4500ft elev SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, May 18, 11 at 12:16

I'd try a higher nitrogen fertilizer like urea, 46-0-0, or ammonium sulfate, 21-0-0. Melons are heavy users of nitrogen.

I won't use the very high P, 10-30-10, very often for anything. You don't want P to get too high and throw things out of balance.

The yellowing could be from other causes like cold soil, below 68F/20C, or too wet.

o
Cure for cold soil

• Posted by fruitnut Z7_4500ft elev SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, May 18, 11 at 12:23

Since you are in zone 2 your problem with melons may well be cold soil. You can help that some by putting black plastic down around the melons and cover that with clear plastic. Once the melons cover that it won't help much. You may need to raise the temperature in the greenhouse. Your nights even in summer may be way to cold for melons.

How warm is your soil?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here