Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry leaf curl

Posted by serge94501 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 11:03

Any idea what might be causing this and what I can do to get the tree healthy? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry leaf curl

Thats usually black cherry aphids, uncurl the leaves and look for aphids.

They are hard to reach with sprays. If you only have a little bit spray insecticidal soap and use one hand to open up the leaves while you spray in. Apply a band of tanglefoot to the trunk to keep the ants off the tree, if there are no ants to move the aphids around they will fade. If you don't apply the tanglefoot they will keep coming back. I had major problems for about five years with these guys, until I got smart with the tanglefoot.

Scott

o

Thank you so much! I will find out what tanglefoot is and get some and put it around the trunk. I am mixing up a batch of soap spray right now.

o

Put a band of tanglefoot all the way around the trunk, say 1' off the ground. Make sure there is no other way for ants to get on the tree. To avoid hurting the trunk first put down duct tape and then put the tanglefoot on the duct tape. Make sure there are no tunnels under the tape, check back and see if ants found a way around or under and patch the leak. Collectively ants can be smart, but with a little work we can out-smart them.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here