Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Tree Newbie Has Leaf Problems

Posted by macgregor 6MA (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 11:06

I have 3 dwarf apple trees, a red delicious, golden delicious, and a macintosh. They are on the edge of my vegetable garden. All 3 leafed out beautifully, and then bam! something ate holes in the new leaves and ate the buds from the blossoms as well seemingly overnight.

I am assuming it was some kind of caterpillar that I missed. I haven't seen any though. Could it have been sparrows? Do they eat tree buds? We had a lot of them in our yard for a couple of days. It seemed like overnight the tree leaves and buds were wrecked.

Also, what should I do with my trees now? Prune those leaves off and wait till next year?

I am very new at this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Tree Newbie Has Leaf Problems

Don't prune off anything green. The tree needs that for photosynthesis. Sparrows don't eat leaves neither does any other bird. Sometimes birds do eat fruit buds. An insect is much more likely but if leaf loss is severe you should see something.

o
RE: Apple Tree Newbie Has Leaf Problems

Thanks, if I hadn't read your post I might've trimmed off those leaves. I will keep an eye out for whatever it is that I missed that's done damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here