Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bark grafted pecans yesterday, trunks all wet today

Posted by cousinfloyd 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 11:14

I topworked two pecan trees yesterday following the example on Bill Reid's blog for a modified rind graft. Today the trunks are all wet below the graft area. Is that a sign that the grafts aren't going to take? Should I take off the coverings and start again a little lower down? Should I leave it be but do something different next time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bark grafted pecans yesterday, trunks all wet today

E,
I sometimes get excessive bleeding, flooding the grafts.
Don't know if grafting 'by the signs' would help, but I pretty much have to do 'em when I can steal a few minutes here and there to get out in the orchard.
I've had old-timers recommend beheading the rootstock - and waiting 'til they stop bleeding before grafting - may take one day, or a week or more.
Another technique which I use frequently - though I can't swear that it necessarily works any better - is the 'Sap-stopper modification of the Gray Graft'. Essentially, it's a simple bark graft - but instead of completely beheading the understock, you just cut about 3/4 of the way through and 'break over' the still-attached top, to act as a sap-drawer or 'relief-valve' of sorts.
Did a couple this morning, but it's still a bit early on many of my seedlings - look at Dr. Reid's most recent post.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, May 1, 13 at 17:28

In grapes which bleed like bloody Mary, I believe they make a cut below the graft to bleed off the excess sap. That might be worth a try. But I have no real experience on either.

o

The guy who taught me to 3-4-flap graft does a couple of incomplete 'girdling' cuts just below the graft - not removing any bark, just a quick couple of knife swipes most of the way around the stem of the rootstock; they callus back across, but I guess also serve as a 'relief' valve of sorts - and probably also help to keep auxins concentrated above the girdling cuts to augment callusing.

o

Thank you both for the feedback and advice. Lucky, I grafted a couple black walnuts yesterday and tried doing the 3/4 of the way through and break over still attached thing. Thanks, Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here