Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fred_1933

Blackberry Blooms

Fred_1933
10 years ago

Been months since I have posted here. Here's my question(s). I put out last spring..2012 five varieties of blackberries...Triple Crown..3 plants, Navaho...3 plants, Apache..3 plants, Natchez...3 plants, Quachita...3 plants.
I had good luck last summer for these plants growing when it was 113 degrees for about three weeks. I watered just about every day for couple hours. The Triple Crown's grew about 8 feet canes.
Over this past winter I think I may have lost two of the Triple Crowns, as they show no leaving this spring.
All the other varieties show no sign they will bloom. Here it nis May 3rd, and I don't think they will bloom this year due to the unusual weather we are having here in southeast Kansas.

Could it be they will bloom later when it get warmer?

Also, I have a garden some 400 feet from the house with a chain link fence around it. Two years ago a thorn blackberry plant came up in one side of the garden fence. The bird(s) must have drop a seed and it came up. It weathered the 113 degree hot sun all summer with no watering. I just it is grow, and it has plenty "buds" for blooming. It did produce fruit last summer, but, they were small due to the hot and shortage of rainy weather.

Any comments are welcome.

Comments (7)