Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wintering indoors.

Posted by beeman_gardener 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 11:24

I hope fruitnut might look at this for me.
I recently bought two new trees. An Allstar peach and a Puegot (sp) apricot. Both on dwarf stock, in 14 inch dia pots.
Was about to dig them in, but noticed my nectarine is frost damaged, so am now concerned about wasting these two.
Would it be acceptable to lower the pots into the ground for summer, wait till dormant, then bring inside an unheated garage for winter?
If possible, what precautions regarding winter treatment?
Will they out grow the pots and require larger?
How about root pruning?
Any help, please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wintering indoors.

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, May 22, 13 at 12:24

beeman:

Franktank in Wisconsin is doing this so you might contact him or maybe he will see this. It can be done but is a lot more effort and the tree will need repotting after a few years. I water mine every day in summer.

o
RE: Wintering indoors.

I do this with all kinds of trees (My backyard looks like a nursery)...

You can plant them in the ground, but its just additional work, but if you are going for a "look" for your yard or whatever, then go ahead...you will most likely have roots growing out of the bottom of the pot by late summer, which will probably have some negative effect next year (too much top/not enough bottom?)... I'd use min 15 gallon pot. You can use whiskey barrels, but put them on wheels and be prepared for them to rot out in 5 years or so unless you line them with something.

Garage is fine. They'll do great. My pluots all look great...all 8 varieties.

One issue you may run into is height. I prefer short trees/low branching...i'm getting to the point i have to angle my trees into the garage (Garage door is only so tall)...

Winter treatment? I roll them in there and take them out in spring... roll them in and out of the frosts if you want. Maybe make sure they have a little moisture before setting them away for winter...

Have a decent dolly handy too...even 15 gallon plastic pots get heavy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here