Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberries near a raised bed? How bad is root spread?

Posted by ffreidl (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 14 at 11:30

I have 3 beautiful red raspberry plants (Caroline) which need planting. I originally thought I'd like to plant them near my raised beds for convenience - they would be about 1.5 - 2 ft max from the nearest bed which will have strawberries and possibly asparagus.

Am I going to have a problem with the raspberry roots invading the nearby bed? Will that create too much competition for the strawberries?

Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Anybody out there growing raspberries near other food plants? How are you keeping the roots in-bounds?

I gather from other posts that even if I make a raised bed in that location solely for the raspberries, the roots may spread out all over anyway...?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberries near a raised bed? How bad is root spread?

You can keep them under control easily. When you see them intruding into another space, just pull them out.
I run a small tiller down the side of the row, this trims the roots back so they don't spread.
I am just moving a row, needs re-newing, and they haven't spread away from their original space.
You could use the plants removed to expand the row.

This post was edited by beeman_gardener on Mon, May 19, 14 at 12:58

o

I wouldn't plant raspberries near strawberry bed. They grow most vigorously at time of strawberry harvesting. If you pull out at this time, you, first, disturb much more shallow strawberry roots in the hot weather and, second, disturbing the soil can start gray mold spreading on you berries. Only choice you have in this case not to pull, but just cut the green parts. It will not stop them from growing, but will let sun to get to your strawberries. Raspberries like reach soil. If you have well cultivated row and original soil outside of it, they will not spread much assuming you do proper pruning . But as soon as there are some better or equal places to grow - they will start moving. I have shoots here and there as far as 5 feet from original planting side.

o

Thank you both for your responses. Sorry it took me so long to find my way back to this post!

So, doesn't look so hopeless after all. I think I'll try it. If it doesn't work, I can always move 'em, I guess.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here