Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Arctic Star vs Sunraycer

First harvest here for Sunraycer nectarine. I think it's out of Florida. What a disappointment. Small, acidic, and 13 brix; blah, yuck, and upchuck. Arctic Star ripening a few days earlier have mostly had split pits but even those fruits have been 20 something brix. The one Arctic Star without a split pit that I checked brix on was 34 with fabulous flavor, the skin was a little funky.

I think the Arctic Star has split pits, which it hasn't before, because I thinned too much too early. Both trees were lightly cropped so Sunraycer can't blame low brix on over cropping.

The more I see of non California bred fruit the more I think most is inferior to highly inferior. Zaiger really has made breeding progress. All that inferior fruit I grew for 30+ yrs wasn't just about growing conditions and my lack of growing skills. It really was inferior fruit.

Sunraycer two outside fruits, Arctic Star two inside. Arctic Star is usually bigger and better colored.

{{gwi:96417}}

Comments (6)

• Tony
    9 years ago

Fn,

thx for the report. No Sunraycer for me in the future.

To

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

I've seen people refer to UF Sun and others from U. of Florida to be good. Zaiger is lucky because he breeds in ideal growing conditions, so he can really focus of flavor. In Florida they have to breed them to withstand the humidity, low chill, and other factors. So maybe that is why they don't taste as good.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tony:

Sunraycer is low chill but not really all that early blooming. Still no reason to grow it up there. I can understand how it might have better/different flavor elsewhere. But can't see how it would ever be decently sweet when it's that far behind another.

I noticed Clark in KS stated he likes Canadice and Glenora seedless hardy table grapes. Those were my best two in Amarillo also. But they don't compare to Flame, Summer Royal, or Crimson all CA bred seedless grapes. I've grown them all in my greenhouse. When breeding objectives include a large dose of hardiness and pest resistance, it's much harder to achieve highest eating quality.

PS: melike, we posted together. You've hit the nail on the head.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Mon, May 26, 14 at 13:23

• franktank232
    9 years ago

I'm going to add a few more nectarines next year. I potted up an Atomic Red nectarine this spring...just finally sending out shoots ... I'll want to shoot for early season types..since my season is short.

Have you tried Zee Fire>? I see that is what i've been getting at the grocery store...kids seem to love them. They are decent for grocery store fruits. Notice a lot of them have the split pits.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Zee Fire patent lists it at 13.7 brix and 150 grams. I'd skip it. If you want a great early nectarine and can protect it from freezes and rain, look no further than Arctic Star.

Just remember I've had more CA bred fruits I've rejected than those I'm still growing. So everything CA won't work for everyone even if you have suitable conditions to mature fruit, even things like Arctic Star.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zee Fire patent

• franktank232
    9 years ago

True. In pots I can protect them very easily.

Have you tried Atomic Red nectarine?

Just for comparison...most of my peaches are at petal fall right now.

Zee Fire i'm sure was bred for mass consumption...pretty fruits that look nice and taste ok. They do tend to be small.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus