Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with peach tree

Posted by sara7worthington 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 11:35

Hi i bought this tree last year. It was labeled o henry and was six foot tall when i planted it. Question is there is gold and clear sap leaking in several spots and ants are eating it but the tree seems ok other than that

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with peach tree

There is a hole at the base of the tree with a sluglike thing inside. removed and killed slugthing now what do i do to treat the tree?

o

There is a hole at the base of the tree with a sluglike thing inside. removed and killed slugthing now what do i do to treat the tree?

o

That is a larvae of the peach tree borer and they are the sworn enemy of any owner of peach trees. I went through 3 or 4 peach trees till I figured this out. First of all make sure there aren't anymore holes with them in it. Uncover some soil around the base of the tree. There may be more down there. I would mix some sevin concentrate and dump it all around the base. This year I'm not taking any chances. I painted the trunk with white latex exterior paint and then wrapped the bottom of the tree with strips of old t shirt and smeared tree tanglefoot goop on it to stop future adult borers from landing.
Hope this helps. If anyone else has any suggestions I'd like to hear em.

o

Hi i googled a picture of peach borers an they look like little catepillars digging tunnels. this looked like a small version of the three inch slugs that invade my basement and it wasnt digging tunnels it was eating the bark off the base of the tree and it wasnt tunneling in. i treated it like other slugs i knocked it off the tree and used table salt to melt it. there are no deep holes in the tree. but in the dirt around the tree are a bunch of tiny clear eggs. i have sevin will this still work for that. whatever the little eggs are. there are alot of ants around the tree but these dont look like ant eggs so these could be the borers right?

o

Hi i googled a picture of peach borers an they look like little catepillars digging tunnels. this looked like a small version of the three inch slugs that invade my basement and it wasnt digging tunnels it was eating the bark off the base of the tree and it wasnt tunneling in. i treated it like other slugs i knocked it off the tree and used table salt to melt it. there are no deep holes in the tree. but in the dirt around the tree are a bunch of tiny clear eggs. i have sevin will this still work for that. whatever the little eggs are. there are alot of ants around the tree but these dont look like ant eggs so these could be the borers right?

o

Sorry about the repeats my phone is acting up and i cant help it

o

Sorry about the repeats my phone is acting up and i cant help it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here