Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cygnwulf

Strawberry Leather Rot, in a Pot

cygnwulf
11 years ago

I have been very excited this year because my potted everbearing strawberries have been blooming like crazy all spring long. But the strawberries I have been picking have had some problems. First, the stems are short, leaving the flowers completely hidden by the leaves, and even the fruits that are forming are not visible beyond the leaves, plus a lot of them are not getting good pollination, and look very lumpy and deformed. It has been a long time since I had strawberries, but I remember on the ones my grandmother grew that the flowers and fruit formed on long stems that showed past the leaves.

the few berries that seemed to form right and look pretty are off color, tough and leathery, and a number of unripe berries have brownish soft spots. I've been watching them a little closer and looking at strawberry problems online and it looks like bad leather rot. I don't have any actual mulch in the pot, just a layer of peat that I added this year. I had fed them last year a few times with the red stuff, and once this year with some seaweed, but as long as the plants were growing like crazy and looked healthy I haven't added anything else. The pot itself was filled last year with a bagged potting mix that actually grew some odd little mushrooms shortly after I planted but those quit pretty shortly after that and I haven't seen them return.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths