Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry Leather Rot, in a Pot

Posted by Cygnwulf 7b DFW (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 11:40

I have been very excited this year because my potted everbearing strawberries have been blooming like crazy all spring long. But the strawberries I have been picking have had some problems. First, the stems are short, leaving the flowers completely hidden by the leaves, and even the fruits that are forming are not visible beyond the leaves, plus a lot of them are not getting good pollination, and look very lumpy and deformed. It has been a long time since I had strawberries, but I remember on the ones my grandmother grew that the flowers and fruit formed on long stems that showed past the leaves.
the few berries that seemed to form right and look pretty are off color, tough and leathery, and a number of unripe berries have brownish soft spots. I've been watching them a little closer and looking at strawberry problems online and it looks like bad leather rot. I don't have any actual mulch in the pot, just a layer of peat that I added this year. I had fed them last year a few times with the red stuff, and once this year with some seaweed, but as long as the plants were growing like crazy and looked healthy I haven't added anything else. The pot itself was filled last year with a bagged potting mix that actually grew some odd little mushrooms shortly after I planted but those quit pretty shortly after that and I haven't seen them return.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry Leather Rot, in a Pot

Could it be from lack of bees and pollination? My quinalt kind of look how you describe but the fruit is too small too tell. The stalks and fruit are small and hidden under the leaves though. The plants look fine and green but the tips of the leaves are turning brown as if I fed them too much or they are just old. It doesnt look like a disease though. Who knows...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here