Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blueberry issues

Posted by queenskitchen 7 (NYC) (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 11:42

This is a pic of my pink lemonade blueberry. It appears to be struggling. Planted last year in bark/peat mix so soil ph shouldnt be an issue. The other blueberry behind it appears to be doing much better (maybe as a result of being closer to the building wall this spring?). The issue is that the interior of the plant has not had the buds break into leaves. I also have some branch tip dieback. I am guessing both of these are due to the winter we had, alhtough it is listed to zone 4 on some websites.

any thoughts as to what is happening or a remedy? Do I just need to be more patient?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blueberry issues

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 12:34

Look like they might just need more nitrogen. Either organic or another designed for acid loving plants. It needs most nitrogen in ammonia form not nitrate. That's listed on the label.

o

Do they get enough sun?

o

Thanks FN. Which one do you suggest. I have some Epsom holly tone on hand but don't know how that will perform in container, as was suggested in some prior posts. I prefer not to use something mixed into the water.

Jimmy they get basically full sun.

o

Looks fine to me. If I'm not mistaken, Pink Lemonade is a Rabbiteye hybrid variety and they have different growth habits than SHB or NHB so you can't really compare the two in that respect. Rabbiteyes tend to have long slender canes and growth happens on the ends of the canes. Some buds will grow along the length of the cane. Some never sprout unless you cut the canes back hard to control height.

o

Thanks all. The one behind it is significantly fuller which is why I was concerned. I'll give a little fertilizer and stop looking so carefully.

Where do they fruit? Only at the tips then?

o

The new growth from this year will produce fruit buds. Some confined to the tips and some form along the whole branch depending on variety, climate, water.......etc.

o

They both look green, and that's a good thing. I have 5 different ones in containers and they are all on slightly different schedules. Like was suggested, a dose of nitrogen couldn't hurt. Especially now when they WANT to grow. There are lots of threads on using ammonium sulfate for blueberries. I'd stay from the Espoma organics in containers. That's fine for in-ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here