Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning apple ?

Posted by john222-gg Mississippi 8b/9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 11:46

This is my yellow delicious.The limbs seem to be getting to long.All the blooms come out on the very ends of the limbs.It is making apples but should I cut it back to shorter limbs?I know it looks like I should take some of the limbs out just not sure which one not real good at all this.Some suggestions sure would be nice.I will really appreciate all help.Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning apple ?

John,

You should prune pretty much every year and ideally you should prune in late winter when the try is still dormant.

There are lots of instructional videos around explaining how. I like the Stark Bros. videos for a quick explanation if you don't know where to start googling.

The quick version is this....

Apples need a central leader type pruning so they look like a classic ball shaped bunch of branches above the trunk with a main strong branch in the center. (compared with pears and other trees that have a vase shape)

In general, on a young tree, you want to trim back 1/4 of the last years growth near a bud with a 45 degree cut.

In general, on a young tree, you also want to space the branches about 6 inches or so from each other to keep them spaced properly.

You might be a bit late in the year to do pruning, but like I said, you should make it an annual part of your tree care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here