Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cherry tree wilting... why?

Posted by irinkayoga PA (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 11:47

Hello all! had this beautiful cherry tree (dwarf sour cherry) for 8+ years - this spring it wouldn't leaf out or bloom; then with one month delay some of the flowers showed up, but most buds wilted. What can be the cause and can I help it?
Thank you! picture is attached.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cherry tree wilting... why?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, May 25, 13 at 14:38

The most likely cause is winter injury. This damages the water conduction tissues and the tree withers up and usually dies. It could also be from unusually wet weather that damages or kills the roots.

In either of those cases there is nothing you can do to help now. In the long run or for another tree improve drainage if that is the issue. For instance plant on a raised bed.

o

thank you fruitnut! yes drainage is a big issue - it's in Poconos mountains, mostly stones and clay. and after-hurricane winter was really snowy too. thank you for your reply!

o

I just planted a crimson passion sour cherry and it looks the same! Would this be root injury? Planted it about 2 weeks ago! There are a few leves on the tips that look ok. It had flowers when I bought it. They fell off and lots of leaves wilted and fell off. Advise please!

o

wndr1mn, see a previous message on this forum - "Is there any remedial treatment for transplant shock?" - think for newly planted trees sometimes it takes time to adjust - given you provided enough space for its rootball/roots are not damaged. Where you bought it? some places are better than others when caring for trees - I like Lowes and Home Depot/ Wall Mart/K-Mart trees have harder time in my garden :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here