Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

"Volunteer" (?winter) Pear tree

petalique
9 years ago

A couple of years ago a neighbor gave me a pear tree volunteer. I believe it was from a dropped winter type of pear. Anyway, it has been in a large pot for at least two years. It has blooms (small, busy, white, fragrant). I don't have but a few places with "full" sun, but since cutting a large oak am now considering planting this volunteer pair tree that is about 3.5 to 4 ft tall and perhaps a half inch or 3/4 inch trunk. So, I have questions that I hope you can help me with:

1. Think it might bear fruit? It might have come from a dropped seckel pair. I don't care if it is "almost exactly" like its parent, but it would be nice to have pears for cooking or for chutney.

2. Does it need any special soil? Must if have "Full" full sun or is ~ 5 hours sun enough?

3. How large might it grow? Height and Width?

4. Any other comments? Oh, and do I need to have another pear and if so how close. There are similar pears about 1/8 mile away.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

The pear tree volunteer could be any type but we can assume its a standard pear which will reach 20' - 30' height and 15- 20' or so width typically. Pears are not very particular on the soil they like and are the easiest of the fruits to grow in our region in Kansas. They seem to prefer full sun here but I have a few growing in partial shade. No one will know what the fruit is until it ripens as is the way with all seedlings since they are all genetically different. When you say fragrant white blooms in what way are they fragrant fishlike or sweet smelling? Pollination I'm unsure of since I/m unsure of the variety but I would assume even an ornamental pear such as a callery will serve as a pollinator. Can you post a picture I'm curious what the leaves look like? Does it have small thorns?

• petalique
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, ClarkinKS. The blooms are sweetly fragrant and remind me of almond or mayflowers (do they have mayflowers in KS?). I just took some blurry pics with my phone (sans flash), but you may be able to see what I mean. The parent pear trees up the hill are perhaps around 10-14 ft tall and perhaps 12 ft wide. They have been there a while and might have been "dwarf" type or grafted somethings. One year the fellow (now gone) brought me a bushel of hard winter pears from (IIRC) one of those trees or perhaps these are different trees.

I'm not that picky ;) I've canned spiced crab apples from quarter-sized crab apples from someone's yard (with permission we picked them). Sugar, cinnamon, vinegar, clove, ... they look just amber-gorgeous in a pint sized jar with the sunlight shining through the bottle. Maybe if I get any pears I can can them -- unless it takes 25 years to get pears, by which time I will have moved and or be composted alongside the peach and apple volunteers. Let's see if the photo uploading works. Thanks for your response. BTW, a stinky smelling pear flower? Really? Like some of those viburnums in a swampy area that reek like a pig's whatever? oooggg.

How do I post more than a single image?

• petalique
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I could only post that single image or "a" single image at once. I'll show you the narrow, thin leaves next.

No thorns.The fragrance is very sweet and if I could bottle it, I would.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

That doesn't look like a pear. I'm not sure what it is, maybe a cherry of some kind? It sounds like your neighbor may have gotten things mixed up.

Scott

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

I agree with Scott it's not a pear but it does appear to be a plum. Plum flowers have an intoxicating sweet smell. Pear flowers do not typically have that sweet smell you describe. The leaves and flowers condfirmed what I suspected. The great news is that it is a fruit tree. You can always graft additional plum varieties to it later if it's something you don't like.

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

By the looks of it little green balls will be forming on it in the next couple of weeks.