Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_h59

Spreading vs. Weighing Down Limbs??

Lisa.H
10 years ago

Hello. I have a few dwarf apple trees from Stark Bros that were planted last spring and are now between 5-6' tall. I know I should spread the limbs away from the central leader and was just looking for some advice on what is the best method for doing this. I've heard of using spreaders wedged between the limb and the leader to increase the angle as well as tying a weight onto the branch to pull it down. What method would you recommend? The limbs I would like to spread are probably around 1/4"-5/8" in diameter where they meet the leader. I pruned off anything last fall with a narrow crotch angle, so I don't really have a need to increase the angle where the limb connects, but rather just want to encourage the branches to grow more horizontally. What do you advise? And what do you recommend using to spread or weigh down the branches? Is it something I could make myself or would I be better off buying some specifically made for that purpose (I saw some spreaders advertised at the Stark Bros website)? Thank you for the help!

This post was edited by Lisa.H on Sun, May 19, 13 at 12:20

Comments (7)