Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cle, oh container figs still not leafing out

Posted by lawanddisorder 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 11:52

Hi,

I have 3 figs (CHI Hardy, Brown Turkey, and a generic everbearing hardy fig that was supposedly hardy to zone 6) and they are all in pots, overwintered in my garage, and are all still completely dormant (or maybe dead?).

I scratched them and they are still green, but we've had temps in the 60s, 70s and hotter the past 2 - 3 weeks and I would've expected them to be leafing out by now.

Any other Cleveland Ohio fig growers with container grown figs? Should I be worried?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cle, oh container figs still not leafing out

Law,

Green is a good signs. My got completely killed to the ground and now they are about 4 inches tall. Give them a little more time.

Tony

o

I would agree.. I had about 8 different varieties growing in Colorado and sometimes it took some of them a little longer to leaf out.. some were slow where others were very fast to leaf out.. give the H20 and lots of sun and it will be fine..

o

I accidentally left my containerized Brown Turkey outdoors for the winter in 2012-13 (usually overwinters in unheated basement). The following spring I kept looking for signs of growth/survival and finally gave up at the end of June - I stuck the pot in some out-of-the-way corner to deal with later. In early August, I was grooming for company and notice sprouting on my supposedly "dead" fig! This past winter it stayed in the basement and is back to normal this spring. Don't give up on yours!

o

Mine just leafed out in the last couple weeks, and I"m a couple hundred miles south of you. Give it time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here