Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to deal with moving/supporting old grape vines in spring

Posted by watergirl216 7b (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 11:53

I have two old grape vines that have been supported by a fence and handmade trellises, but I am in the middle of having to take both the fence and the trellis down, due to rot. I have the grapes barely supported by the couple fence posts left and the trellises need to come down next. You can see them in these photos.

My questions...

1. How should I support the huge maze of vines while getting a new support built or can I just leave them without supports for a week?

2. Should I just cut them all the way back this year and just let them grow back next year? Is it bad to cut them all the way back, especially this late in the season?

Side note: I'm always afraid to prune the grapes each year because I don't know how to prune grapes. So instead I just let them go. When it produces grapes they are so sweet and good!!

Thank you for any help or advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to deal with moving/supporting old grape vines in spring

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, May 14, 13 at 12:11

I'd cut that mess all the way back to the trunk. Build a new trellis and grow a new vine this summer. That will put you in ideal shape for a big crop in 2014. Then in the spring of 2015 you'll have the ideal situation to learn how to prune properly. It's not that hard unless you have plants like your current plant and you want to get things right without missing a crop. By missing one crop you will be ideally setup for annual pruning.

I love to prune grapes more than anything else because done right the plant looks the same every year after pruning. Everything else bets bigger every year and eventually needs renewal pruning, just what your vine needs now. Done every year it's easy. Done once in a while not so much.

o

Thank you so much fruitnut! I was wondering if I should cut it all the way back. I'm always afraid of pruning it all the way back. I can't imagine how it grows back when you cut it all the way back to the trunk, but I have to trust it, huh?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, May 20, 13 at 18:39

It's not possible to tell where the new growth will come from but I'd be 99.8% sure that it will. If it's up on the trunk, train those shoots up onto the new trellis. If it's from down by the ground train the strongest shoot up to the trellis, tip it, and run the side shoots down the trellis. Those new shoots will give you fruit next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here