Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick Apricot Tree

Posted by Ms.TiaMaria Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 11:55

My baby apricot tree is sick. The little green fruits have moldy spots on them, the branches have gaping cankers, and the bark has dust all over it (mold?). What do I do??? The information on the websites say to prune out infected branches but they all have cankers! I would have to prune it all down to a stub. Also it is right next to my fig and cherry trees. Their branches touch each other. Will they become infected too?

Here is a link to some pictures of it:

http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj518/ms_tiamaria/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick Apricot Tree

Sorry. Here is a direct link... Hope it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sick Apricot Tree Pictures

o

The trunks look like bacterial canker. I don't know what is going on on the fruits but its some sort of disease.

For the cankers I would try to cut them out as well as you can and paint over with something to avoid re-infection. Cut until there is no more dark wood. Its hard to do cuts like that, and do make sure to keep all your fingers in the process! I use a hand saw to do such cuts myself. Given the number and severity of the infections it may be too late to save the tree. If it was a cherry tree I would say its game over, but apricots have more resistance to canker so it may be able to fight back.

For the fruit diseases I would make sure to do two dormant copper sprays a year, one just as leaves are falling in fall and one just before buds pop open in spring. Then I would look into spray programs for fruit diseases, and follow one. Maybe someone here will have a better idea of what the disease is on the fruits. My guess is it is in fact the bacterial canker, it can cause fruit symptoms if the infection is severe.

Cherry trees are highly susceptible to bacterial canker so watch out for infection on it as well. I would immediately paint over all pruning cuts until you stop having all those oozing cankers around. The fig should be fine.

Scott

o

Scott the fruit symptoms look like freeze injury to me. You don't see much of that.

o

Fruitnut, I think you have a good call there on the fruit. Which is a relief as far as I am concerned, it means the cankers are not going wacko.

When I planted my orchard I thought I was in the worst spot imaginable with all the humidity, bugs, and diseases, but I am on the side of a river valley and my apricots have not frozen out in seven years. So I think I will stop complaining about all the other bad stuff after seeing all the people in the upper midwest getting wiped out this year.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here