Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peach disease? goo and brown around seed

Posted by wakko 8 (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 11:57

Anyone know what this picture is? For the past 2 years there has been this goo around the stem of the fruit and when i cut one open it looked like this. Brown around the seed as well as that goo... I did spray some spectracide earlier this year since last year i think bugs were getting at it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

also is it safe to eat around this stuff? It smelled so good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peach disease? goo and brown around seed

It is most likely brown rot. Did you do a fungicide spray?

o

I did not, what is a good one to use and is it already too late?

o

That looks like a very early variety of peach that is splitting the pits and then that is causing some kind of odd ooze as the peach continues to grow. It doesn't really look like brown rot, brown rot never gets really dark like that. So, I think it is some environmental by-product of a very early peach. There is some possibility of brown rot as well, but it starts on the outside of the peach and works in and I see no signs of that.

Scott

o

interesting... i think i did have brown rot or the mummified peaches last year. This year by spraying the spectracide early i've gotten these peaches which all of them seem to have this ooze at the top of the stem. The fruit looks good but i haven't ate any because i'm unsure if its safe?

o

The ooze at the stem sounds like gummosis -- too much water at a certain point in ripening. That in combo with split pits may have caused what you see. There should be no problem in eating them, just don't eat the goo stuff (it itself should not be harmful, its just tree sap, but its like eating an apple core or stem).

Scott

o

Scott I hate to disagree with you but brown rot can and does occur around the seed without notable signs outside and it can be very dark brown.

You are in zone 8 I think your post showed. You need to spray next year. Call your Extension agent and see if you can bring a sample to his or her office. They can advise you were to go from here.

If the pit split do a google on peach pit split.

o

Ok, i do believe i'm dealing with gummosis since part of the tree has sap around it. how do you avoid this, suggestions on what i need to spray?

o

wakko, see the link below for a discussion of some of the causes and treatments of gummosis. Many conditions can lead to gummosis and I can't say from your description what your exact problem is.

Randy, I have never seen brown rot damage anything like that and I do strongly suspect its gummosis, but diseases can do strange things.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: gummosis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here