Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Peach tree from peachstone (farm stand peach)

petalique
9 years ago

Last year a tree that I'd limbed up, thinking it was a choke cherry, put forth some lovely pink blossoms. Again, this year.

The tree is close to the lazy-man compost pile and coming from a raggy stone semi-wall. I ID'd it as a peach. The farm stand/grower told me that it would be unlikely to be like the ones they sell (pretty much the only place we get out peaches). The tree is perhaps 10 ft. tall and perhaps 2" diameter trunk.

I asked my spouse if we might dig it out (we've transplanted red maples around that size, as well as large shrubs and birches -- mattocks, tarp, water, mulch, sweat. We won't need _all_ the roots, right?)

Think I'd get any edible peaches? Peaches did form on it last season, such cute fuzzed green things, but the tree is in part shade, so the fruit fell off at the 50 cent size.

Do I lop off or "prune" off the top? It's already limbed up, but there are branches beginning to sprout off the bare trunk.

Any guess how tall or wide it might get?
Why don't I just go and buy one? Dunno. Stoopid maybe; curious, pig-headed, and short of cash.

Thanks for any input.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!