Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cornus mas fruiting on it's own

Posted by Bradybb wa 8 (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 12:03

I picked up this plant last Fall after trying some wonderful Gelato or ice cream made from it's fruit.There was some talk about needing two to have fruit.I know there isn't another in the neighborhood and this one blossomed and now has lots of berries.Maybe two or more will get more,but I'm impressed by the amount. Brady
Around February/March
Photobucket
Today
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cornus mas fruiting on it's own

Very interesting, Brady. Any idea how this fruit tastes?

Patty S.

o

It is great in jam, ice cream and especially good in meat souces or other sweeet and soure meat dishes. Unbeatable with lamb.
It is very popular in Caucasian places like Armenia, Geordia, Southern Russia, etc. It is caled Kizil there, Kizil jam or Kizil sauce, etc.
I am a big fan of kizil, but I don't think it is good for fresh eating.
I grow two varieties, just in case :)
Olga

o

Patty,
I tried a few off the tree at One Green World in Oregon last Fall.They were good,a little tart.Some people say they are very tart and others tell to wait until they are almost withering on the tree for best flavor. Brady

o

The flavor is like a mixture of tart cherry and cranberry. Mine is somewhat astringent raw, although pretty good when it's so ripe its red-black and starting to shrivel, almost "bletted". Mine is just seedling grown, improved varieties may be better.

o

Patty cornus mas is great fruit for fresh eating when truly ripe-left on plant to ripen fully, then left for a day after picked. Then you get a great tasting fruit. Popular limited season delicacy in northern Iran I didn't get enough exposure to in southern Iran because too perishable to ship down south to us when truly ripe.

o

Glad to hear you're getting fruit Brady. I suspect self-fertility depends on the variety. I got a Jolico (actually two, one a replacement for another out of stock variety) from Hidden Springs Nursery some years ago. I was told the variety was self-fertile, but I am yet to get fruit. In the mean time I've planted another variety, but they are relatively slow growers. One day I'll get to taste them!

o

Well, thank you all for such great descriptions. It is a very pretty potted tree. I'll have to see if I can find a spot on my north slope for one.

Patty S.

o

Its my understanding that C.mas is wind pollinated. That makes sense to me, here in WI when it blooms there are no pollinators out that early in the year. The fruit is delicious! I have a friend who has invited me to collect as much as I want from the 4 trees at his work place. I harvested about a 5 gallon bucket full this year. The fruit is fairly delicate and didn't make very good sauce. I had to tame down the astringency with apple sauce. The fruit leather was OK as well but I'm now inspired to make ice cream! Good thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here