Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cant hand pollinate cantaloupes and honeydews

Posted by darrytheprince none (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 14 at 12:04

This is my second year doing this and ive tried everything from rubbing the male on the femalr to the paintbrush and everything but it just never works out for me. Right now i only had 1 succesful pollination and there are no bees aroind so i dont know what the deal is. Does anyone have any tips? Im desperate at this point

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cant hand pollinate cantaloupes and honeydews

Bees may come, and ants and other small creatures likely pollinate some too.

o

There's a blossom set spray, of doubtful efficacy, but you could give it a try if you're desperate.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, May 31, 14 at 14:36

I find the cantaloupes harder to hand pollinate than watermelons and I have a lot more experience on the later. What I've seen affect results with watermelon are time of day, temperature, sunshine, and humidity. The best time is early morning about an hour after sunrise as soon as the flowers open. If it was too cold at night the flowers may not open until later. Higher humidity and lack of wind keep the pollen damp enough to pick up on a small artist brush. If I can't see lots of pollen on the brush I've had no luck.

Even with the best of conditions I consider 10-20% a good rate of set fruit.

o

Not sure why the paint brush method isn't working. What kind of brush are you using? I use a very small soft brush, like the kind I used to paint plastic models as a kid. It works well. Melons are a bit fickle when it comes to pollinating but you should be able to get at least a few to set. Time of day is important. Afternoon is no good. I prefer morning after the sun has been up just long enough to dry things a little, maybe 9am or so when the pollen is fresh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here