Study finds sweet alyssum plantings keep woolly apple aphid out o

Posted by MoleX 6b (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 12:08

Interesting read

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower power fights orchard pests

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Study finds sweet alyssum plantings keep woolly apple aphid o

Thanks for that link molex. I've been fighting those aphids by grafting onto Geneva resistant rootstock, but not all my trees are switched over yet. So easy to throw some inexpensive seeds down to make pretty flowers. Of course I don't expect miracles, but every little bit can help.

Pam in cinti

o

I saw this report as well and planted alyssum around my three apple trees. Only one was showing signs of the wooly aphid, but I thought it was a good idea to try to protect them all. Plus, alyssum is a lovely little flower so they look really nice! I will let you know how it turns out this year.

o

Mom o Rocky, which 3 apples do you have and which one had the aphid problem? I try very hard to avoid chemicals (I know, sometimes it is unavoidable) and I'd love to know which 2 held up well. I'm a sucker for a granny smith and my poor little tree was decorated like halloween decor, I plan to plant Gold Rush hoping for similar punchy flavor and less problems, but it will be at least a year till I get toit.

Pam in cinti

o

It's nice to see this formally demonstrated and published. The described benefit of planting nectary plants has been widely accepted among the organic and permaculture groups for a long time. I see the benefit every spring in my garden: the first flush of growth on many plants get aphids, soon there are a bunch of hoverflies and ladybugs hanging around the nectary plants, and within a couple weeks, the aphids are all but gone.

A great thing about alyssum is that once it gets started, it keeps on flowering the whole season

Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here