Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulch for Blueberries

Posted by SunwoodFarms 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 14 at 12:08

I put in three blueberry bushes a week ago. I haven't gotten mulch yet. What kind is best?

eta: Straw is NOT an option. I am highly allergic.

This post was edited by SunwoodFarms on Fri, May 9, 14 at 12:15

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulch for Blueberries

How about conifer bark mulch or wood chips? Brady

o

I prefer pine bark mulch. Retains moisture well and keeps the weeds down. You might also try pine straw if it's available.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Fri, May 9, 14 at 16:16

I have mulched blueberry shrubs with shredded maple tree leaves, arbor vitae leaves, and shredded cypress(commercial, bagged). There are a few things that have contra-indication: red maple, black walnut, & beech. Peat moss works as a soil amendment, but not as a mulch.

o

I use pine needles exclusively. Mostly White Pine but will use Red Pine in a pinch. At 3" deep, they do a great job of stopping all weeds and retain soil moisture very well. They also do a better job of letting air and moisture past through to the soil than most other mulches.

o

Can you get pine needles bagged? I don't recall seeing them at Home Depot, Lowes or Menards, but haven't specifically looked for them either.

o

shredded fall leaves, mostly London plain, linden and maples.

o

Arborvitae leaves? That's a new one. DH chopped our Siberian cypress last year, leaves are still in a heap on the hillside by the front yard, think that will work? Right now I just have some wood chips around the BB planted in 2012, but could renew.

I'm trying to figure out what to mulch my lettuce bed with - straw is so expensive. Strawberries will need new mulch this year too - just raked all the old wet rotting straw (that was covered with leaves and pine branches for the winter) out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here