Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wondering about shade cloth substitute

Posted by cousinfloyd 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 12:09

I'm thinking there must be something I can scavenge in the woods (or fields, etc.) that I can use as a substitute for shade cloth for young pawpaw trees. If I have a framework of sticks or bamboo what can lay over it for shade? Are there particular species of trees that will hold their leaves for several months? Pine trees maybe? Any other ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wondering about shade cloth substitute

Perhaps that white fleece/row cover.

o

Row cover holds in heat in many applications. One consideration. If you put up a teepee with enough bamboo, you might not need other shade for a young tree. When you mention pine trees, are you wondering about permanent shade? I think pines are often shallow-rooted and could interfere with the pawpaw's roots.

o

No -- I wasn't very clear on that -- I'm not thinking of a live pine tree. I was thinking of cutting some branches off a pine tree and using them for shade. I've used tree branches several times before for temporary shade for new plantings, but for pawpaws the problem would be that most tree species only hold their leaves for a week or so after being cut off. I'm wondering what I might use for shade like a tree branch that won't wither up and stop providing shade so quickly. Does anyone use anything organic (as in live or formerly alive) for shade structures (like for pawpaws)?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here