Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bigger, sweeter strawberries?

Posted by eskota ETX 8a (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 12:10

Wonder if anyone here has an opinion or advice on how to grow strawberries that are as good or better than the ones sold at the grocery store?

I've been getting small often sour berries here, from at least 6 different varieties. The everbearers are flowering again.

Meanwhile, one local buffet keeps a bowl of plum-sized very sweet strawberries next to their chocolate fountain. No idea what kind they are or where they get them, but they sure make my results seem pathetic. It's always a gamble at the store whether what you buy will be sweet, sour, or bland and watery.

What variety is your personal favorite, and do you have tips on getting high quality?

thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bigger, sweeter strawberries?

Not much help because I haven't grown many.
Strawberries are really sucking allot of nutrient out of the soil, so replacing is a concern and don't let them dry out.

Strawberries are high maintenance plants and you need to grow new one's every year to have your peak the following season. I gave up growing them, weeding is another problem.

Do you have a local you pick?
Several years back we went to on one, find you get the best tasty strawberries for your money. The owner said, ...it will be the last year, they really deplete the ground nutrients.

o
RE: bigger, sweeter strawberries?

Growing strawberries is an art. They are not easy to grow. The berries you buy in the store are not as good as the ones you can grow at home. My favorite, Albion seascape and tribute. I grow them in stackers all summer up to the first frost. No weeds to deal with. When done for the season I pull them out and replace them with new plants in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here