Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

flavorless strawberries

hello,

I have a 3rd year bed of strawberries (Ozark Beauty, if I remember correctly) that is healthy, producing good looking berries, but the berries are really flavorless. Neither sweet nor tart, just bland!

Even thought the plants appear quite healthy, this variety is supposed to be tasty; I wonder if there is something lacking in the soil or that I need to do to improve the flavor?

And if not, what variety might do better? I am in Columbus, Ohio, and the berries are in a full sun, raised bed where the clay has been well amended with compost, rotted manure and sand.

Raee

Comments (10)

• franktank232
    11 years ago

I know around here they grow best on sand. Maybe too much fertilizer? Too much water? I grow several different types and some can be almost too sweet, to some that have no flavor. I'd probably put in a few different varieties in the future and see what happens.

• ltilton
    11 years ago

Frank - what's a variety that can be "almost too sweet"?

• JasonNCarolina
    11 years ago

Take out that variety and plant Albion

• calliope
    11 years ago

Ozark beauties can be very good, usually a reliable variety if that is what you actually received. Too much watering can put forth a bland berry.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Too much water for sure hasn't been an issue here the past 3 weeks! Too little more likely (but it is raining now). I haven't added fertilizer.

Hmm, what I actually received vs. what I thought I got--that may be the problem; I bought them from a mail-order company and I have had one or two previous instances of not getting the ordered variety. Yet I would think that they wouldn't be selling a flavorless variety even if it was not Ozark Beauty.

Jason, I will check out Albion. I've not heard of it.

• franktank232
    11 years ago

Tilton-
    I wish I knew what was what out there. I bought all mine from Jungs many years ago and have potted up runners and moved the bed several times, so at this point, I have no idea. I do know the sweetest berries are oddly shaped and very seedy, which I don't like...It seems like the best looking berries at times seem to be the least tasteful. I'll try to take some pictures and maybe you can determine. The flavors seem to vary widely...with some berries have an almost cheese flavor? while some taste like bubblegum.

• ltilton
    11 years ago

Thinking of starting over with new plants this year, sweetness and flavor being the priority.

• franktank232
    11 years ago

{{gwi:97025}}

{{gwi:97026}}

I tried to do some taste testing. It really seems to vary. Some were very good, some were watery. MY kid loved all of them. I have about 10 strawberries in 1 gallon pots. The ones out of there were ultra sweet, but small. Maybe lack of water in that case?

I'd get new plants. A may do that one of these years. Then I'd know what I'm growing instead of this guessing game.

• ltilton
    11 years ago

I know what I have, Earliglow and Allstar. Which was supposed to be later than EG but isn't.

But I want to try growing them on plastic, so it'd be easier to pull them out and start new than pull out the old ones and replant.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Oh raee.........plenty of less than desireable strawberry plant stock is grown and sold. You asked " Yet I would think that they wouldn't be selling a flavorless variety even if it was not Ozark Beauty. " The answer is there are a very many, perhaps most consumers who have only eaten commercially grown berries. They think all berries are huge, and have giant hollow insides. IOW it's like eating home baked bread instead of mass produced bread off a market shelf. You don't know something is 'supposed' to taste better because you've never tasted it. I new this gardener who was so proud of the big, tasteless berries they produced. They're big and pretty, yes. But also bland. So, there is a market for all sorts of berries to fulfill the desires of potential customers.