Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thecityman

cherry tree questions from a newbie

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to fruit trees and have jumped in feet first by planting 3-4 trees of a variety of fruits. I planted them all this spring and the one's I'm having the most trouble with are sweet cherries. I've read a great deal so I don't THINK I've made any major/novice mistakes (that sounds a bit overconfident...so lets just concentrate on the "I don't think" part of that statement). Anyway, 3 out of 3 of my sweet cherries appear to be dying, but I'm not certain. MOST of the leaves have died ....though each tree has like 1-2 branches that still seem to be alive and holding onto their leaves. I planted them 3-4 weeks ago and have watered as directed. MY Q's are:

1) If the one or two limbs do end up surviving, will these trees forever be messed up since, at best, they will have to regrow from only 1-2 limbs on one side of the tree?

2.) Does anyone have any suggestions as to a) what is happening to them and b) anything I can do at this point to save them (if they are still viable as asked in Q #1)

3.) I hate to dig them up at this point, but I also don't want to have to wait until its too late this year to replant, thereby being a year or at least 1/2 year behind. My problem is, if I plant a "backup" sweet cherry, the only place I have left for it would be about 60 feet away. So: IS 60 FEET TOO FAR FOR SWEET CHERRIES TO BE ABLE TO POLLINATE EACH OTHER?

A little more background: I live in Tennessee (zone 7)

My trees are black tartarian and bing

They are about 4 feet tall right now

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE

Comments (4)