Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Post grafting advice needed

Posted by beachwreck 7b (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 12:11

Last year I discovered a pear growing on an old homestead that I really liked so I tried my hand at grafting for the first time. I used OHxF87 rootstock.

I must confess the process was more difficult than I had imagined. When I was finished, I wasn't sure if I would be successful. To my utter amazement and delight 4 of 4 grafts are growing.

Now the rootsock each have several small branches growing as well as 2 or 3 on the grafted portion.

My question is:
When do I pinch back the rootstock growth? Then when do I prune to a central leader for the grafted section?

I want the rootsock to have plenty of energy and I want the grafted portion to grow as fast as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by this novice grafter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Post grafting advice needed

If you're confident that the grafts were indeed successful you can cut off the growth below the grafts right away. The tree should respond by growing the scion vigorously.

Usually works well to pinch back all but one shoot off of the scion (keep the one that's pointed best) to form the central leader.

o

Thanks marknmt. I'll trim them this weekend.

o

Yeah, long as you're sure, take the shoots off the rootstock immediately.

The biggest threat at the moment will be that the roots try to put out new growth to circumvent the grafted section. You want to force the scion to use the new roots, and force the roots to use the new scion. If either of them managed to get around that, you'll have a failure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here