Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crabapple tree problem

Posted by CATom Northern California (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 13 at 12:12

This tree was planted about 5 weeks ago. Initially it seemed very happy and sprouted 3-4" of new growth within a few weeks. Lately some of the leaves have started to die from the end of the leaf and working it's way back. Is not isolated to one branch but spread out. New growth has not died back like I would expect from shock.
I watered it every day for the first several weeks and then tapered back a bit as temps we're not as high. Soil here is mostly clay but I put a fair amount of planting soil in the hole. I don't want to lose this tree, maybe it just needs to work out it's new location, soil type, etc?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crabapple tree problem

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, May 13, 13 at 12:29

It may be too wet. Watering every day in clay soil is probably too much. At most every other day to allow some air back into the soil.

Was it bare root or potted?

o

It was potted. When I initially planted it I was watering every day and we had pretty high temps. I know problems like this can be delayed from when the tree is "shocked" but the problems really seemed to start after I tapered off watering. Temps have been much lower the last few weeks.
I thought over-watered trees typically display soft yellow leaves. These become quite crispy after a few days.

o

Another pic

o

Check the original rootball. Likely it's dry.

o

So more water then?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here