Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Apple Tree -- another from compost pile or tossed core

petalique
9 years ago

Here is another tossed core/stone fruit tree question.

Another fruit tree -- this time an apple at the edge of the woods. Too much shade and I meant to dig it up and transplant it earlier. Now this thing is 15 feet tall. It's never been pruned or anything.

*IF* I managed to dig this thing up, can I just get a good chunk of roots (say as with maple or hemlock trees), move it to where it will get _more_ sun (5-6 hours), muck it in well, keep it watered and, what? maybe figure out how to properly prune or lop it?

Might I get anything edible? In an old cemetery in Maine, I gathered the best darn apples, even the drops were good and without insect damage for the most part. Old country cemetery apple. No one sprayed it (heck, no one mows anymore). One of the best pies came from those apples. I may drive 300 miles just to take a cutting of it someday.

Meanwhile -- as a bit of an aside question: I have a Sargeant's Crabapple that is very nice but the rootstock keeps coming up around it. Could I use this rootstock to (root it somehow?) and graft that wood's edge apple onto it?

My great great great grandfathers were orchardists (is there a word for it that begins with a P?), but I never got to ask them any questions.

Thanks for any info or suggestions you can offer. I wasn't able to readily find much in searching old posts.

Comments (3)