Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fig/Quince/Pomegranate

Posted by pixiebee (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 12:15

Hello folks

I am looking for a plant for my indoor container garden. I live in an eastern-facing apartment in central Tokyo, which means I get about a half day of sun. I realize that all fruiting plants (with few exceptions) prefer full sun, but locally, it is said that fig, quince, pomegranate, persimmon, sour cherry can tolerate some shade. Persimmon being an extremely common supermarket fruit (and having grown up eating way too many of them) is not being considered. Sour cherry is sadly out of stock everywhere.

That leads to the remaining three. Now, I realize that with only a few hours of sun a day, there's a chance that the plant might not fruit at all, but as I need to fill an empty container in the apartment anyway, I'd like to pick the plant that has the highest possibility of giving maybe even one fruit.

So, I'd like to hear what people's experiences are with growing the above fruits in partial shade and would love to hear people's opinions of what they think would work nicely indoors. If there are any recommended cultivars, please let me know.

I know that there's no guarantee for fruit with these levels of sun, but I love plants with potential. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fig/Quince/Pomegranate

Sun is not the only factor for getting fruit from those plants.

The quince, for example, would not get the chill hours (32-45 degrees)(at least 100 hours, 200-300 is better) in an apartment unless you can lug it out onto a balcony in the winter.

o
RE: Fig/Quince/Pomegranate

Thank you for that helpful piece of advice. In my haste to fill the space, I forgot to take chill hours into consideration. There are pomegranate varieties that don't require chill hours as well as a few fig varieties that grow in much warmer areas without much of a winter, so I will search there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here