Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How hazardous is lime-sulfur spray?

Posted by sharppa 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 12:15

The bottle I got via Amazon has this warning:

"Fatal if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin"

Wow, fatal if absorbed through skin? Like soaking in a bathtub full or just if you spray without a haz-mat suit on?

I usually wear long sleeves, pants, respirator, goggles, baseball cap and rubber gloves for spraying.

What do people wear for lime-sulfur sprays? (Or other sprays in general)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How hazardous is lime-sulfur spray?

I wear the same outfit, and so far so good. I've been using various sprays for over thirty years in my gardens. Most sprays have the same warning. It is not to be taken lightly. Just remember to put your clothes in the washing maching right after spraying. H-man should have some great guide lines!

o

The sprays which are the biggest concern are the bug killers like Imidan etc, those you need to be extremely careful with. One more reason why I never use them :-)

Once lime-sulphur is diluted in your tank its not going to cause any major problem. Lime-sulphur is a standard treatment for pet skin issues, you put the whole pet into it. While I'm not recommending you give yourself a similar treatment it indicates that there is not a serious toxicity issue of dilute solutions. As far as body exposure of the concentrate is concerned its similar to any strong acid or base, it can give burns if not washed off quickly. I have gotten it on my skin several times and did not get any kind of burn; I always wiped it off immediately and washed the area within a few minutes.

Scott

o

Sulfer was used to treat many things in the past, and still has it's uses. If you swallow enough water you will die. Last time I heard of that happening was the radio station contest, whom could drink the most water, the winner died.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here