Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not Many Flowers This Year on Sweetcrisp

Posted by Bradybb wa8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 12:18

I have two Sweetcrisp Blueberry plants that are about three years old and one has only a few flowers and the other maybe none.I let them fruit last year and they produced a fair amount.
From earlier posts,I've read that Sweetcrisp doesn't set a lot of berries.But,is this unusual for mine to be doing this?They are growing okay. Brady

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not Many Flowers This Year on Sweetcrisp

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, May 5, 14 at 12:26

I'd say even on Sweetcrisp no flowers is very unusual if they are growing OK. They don't go biennial like some fruits. Last summers new shoots should have set fruit buds last fall. Are you sure they didn't get frozen off at some point?

o

That may be possible fruitnut.The temps went to about 15F a couple of times last Winter,but I have a number of other Southern Highbush that have a lot of flowers now. Brady

o

I have two Sweetcrisps that are potted and they had blooms this year but they arrived too early (February) and then just fell off. I had tried to over winter them outside but then brought them into my garage mid-winter during a bad cold spell and then left them inside. I guess they had already met their chill hours and then decided to bloom. No berries this year on them. I may just leave them out all winter next year, since they serve little purpose to me without fruiting.

o

Mon, May 5, 14 at 14:10

jt:

Sweetcrisp needs another variety or two for cross pollination and some insects to get the job done. In my greenhouse with 10 other varieties and no bees Sweetcrisp sets about 5% of it's flowers.

Those Columbia Star blackberries are kicking into gear and sending up a strong shoot. I'm planning on berries next year!! I wish blueberries were as easy to grow and fruit.

o

"Those Columbia Star blackberries are kicking into gear and sending up a strong shoot. I'm planning on berries next year!! I wish blueberries were as easy to grow and fruit."

Mine is just kinda waiting for it to get warmer, not doing much. Because of the double digit cold, many of my blackberries were damanged. A lot more than i thought at first, Really disappointing. On the other hand the blueberries were hardly hit and I expect a big crop. The NHB seem to love that cold weather! I had a few tips dies on one blueberry plant, but it still has ton's of flower buds. The other 2 have no damage at all.
Now the raspberries are just going crazy. Wow, they are the easist thiing to grow here ever! Yeah no fruit buds left on any of the fruit trees, but all are alive at least.

o

Mon, May 5, 14 at 17:29

Drew:

Sorry to hear you've no fruit buds left on your trees. That's a bummer!! It does point out however one of the reasons why MI is and will remain well behind CA in tree fruit production. TX is even further behind despite having better soils and land that costs 1/10 as much!! Homeowners can cope with losses here and there. Commercial growers not nearly as much.

o

I'm still waiting for my first Sweetcrisp berry too. Granted, my growing season is much shorter. This is the third year with mine too. My other SHB which is a Farthing is kicking into gear and has lots of flowers.

o

Fruitnut,

What is strange is we are the 6th most productive peach state on average. I guess not this year! One year we were 2nd, the south had problems, so we beat all the southern states that year.
Going back to subject I now have a sweetcrisp, if it wants to bloom early I may need to get rid of it, It seems we best stick to fruit that grows well in our area. I'm still going to try though. I mean they call it gardening, not harvesting! :)
I like to garden, failures help one learn.
Also just for clarity, my cherries are OK, just the peaches.
I didn't expect many anyway, next year will be a good peach year! My trees will be that much more established.
My blackberries are a puzzle, they looked OK, but then a number of canes just died. It may not be weather related? I'm not sure what happened? Ironic in the sense the trailing ones, I was most worried about, all are OK, go figure...

o

I have about a dozen blueberry plants but thought rabbiteye's were the only ones that were not self fettle. By the way, my tifblue blueberry plants survived -7F and are blooming now. I'm hoping my pink lemonade blueberry will pollinate them since it is half rabbiteye. My Columbia star blackberries are growing but not as fast as some of the others like boysenberry and siskyou.

o

If I recall correctly Tifblue are self fertile.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Mon, May 5, 14 at 23:45

Bradybb, wish I had an answer for you. Do you mind letting us know what you did/paid to get your Sweet Crisp BB bushes? I got an email from Amazon last week for Sweet Crisp High Bush Blueberry for $42.00! Does that sound even close to reasonable? I've never seen this bush locally,

Not to detour anyone's sense of adventure or exploration, but this is why I'm not a fruithunter and why I stick with what I can find easily, cheaply and with what is known to work well locally.

o

mrclint,
I bought them a couple years ago from Mail Order Natives for $10 each plus shipping.They are out of them right now,but said they are growing more and may have some this Fall. Brady

o

$42.00 is too high and a rip off. So stop hunting! :)

I myself enjoy a challange, you tell me I can't grow, then I'll have to buy it. I grow many tropical plants, unusual plants. Not just edibles. This year I added a jasmine hybrid, I love those plants.I have three cultivars, many exist. A black pepper vine. Some variegated dogwoods. I have three species of elderberries. I love plant hunting! I'm growing plants from Peru, Spain, South Africa, Guam, China, Japan, Italy, and Mexico. It's fantastic, and so much fun!
Here's a 2 year old Orange Habero tree. Some peppers can be overwintered and will grow into trees. This is not my plant. I want to overwinter smaller ornamental peppers. But I may grow this one, I have seeds from this plant. The grower sent me some.
 photo OrangeTreeHabanero-1.jpg

Many peppers can be turned into trees here's a 7 pot brain strain .

Anyway sorry to be off subject, I just wanted to comment on how I live to plant hunt. I'll never stop!
 photo 7potbrainstrain-1.jpg

I myself want to overwinter one tall pepper and that is the starfish. They can grow to about 6 feet and live for about 10 years. I have 2 of them growing this year (from seed), and will overwinter the better plant. Here's the fruit...
 photo starfish.jpg

These are good examples of plant hunting. I have many peppers and tomato seeds from cultivars you can't buy online. The orange tree habanero is a rather rare pepper.
You can find it, if you hunt deep enough. Getting it from the grower was free! He also sent red habanero tree seeds, I have not seen that anywhere. So I'm beyond buying online, looking for cultivars only available from collectors. A lot like scion wood, minus the viral infections.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, May 6, 14 at 1:03

o

I have about a dozen blueberry plants but thought rabbiteye's were the only ones that were not self fettle. By the way, my tifblue blueberry plants survived -7F and are blooming now. I'm hoping my pink lemonade blueberry will pollinate them since it is half rabbiteye. My Columbia star blackberries are growing but not as fast as some of the others like boysenberry and siskyou.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here