Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is grafted cherry tree dropping fruit

Posted by averil 8b (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 12:20

Hi folks I need some advice if poss. Last year I bought a grafted cherry which was over wintered in an unheated greenhouse. It is still there because it is thriving and our weather not so good. All the little cherries are turning yellow and dropping off. Any ideas. I'm maybe no good with these. I had three peaches on another tree and only one left
Thanks for any advice
Kind regards
Averil UK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is grafted cherry tree dropping fruit

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, May 11, 13 at 12:54

Sweet cherries, except the self fertile varieties, need a pollinator variety and bees. Lack of pollination is the common cause of what you describe.

Peaches are self fertile but a young tree may not set any the first year or two.

o

Thank you fruit nut. Next year I shall let the bees in
Kind regards
Averil Uk

o

Or maybe let the tree out. Is it potted or in the ground?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here