Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neptune25

Various fruit bushes mowed down

neptune25
10 years ago

In the past week, a careless member of my household has cut down 3 of my fruit bushes. (Incidentally, I'm convinced that I could put a marker as tall as the Eiffel Tower next to every one of my plants, but it wouldn't make any difference. :P) They are:

1) Concord grape (2 years old), mowed down completely to the ground
2) Tifblue blueberry bush (3 years old), cut down with weed-eater
3) American cranberry bush (Viburnum, 2-3 years old), cut down with weed-eater

Is it likely that any of these will grow back? Thanks for any info.

Comments (10)

• franktank232
    10 years ago

The grape should come back...i have wild ones in my yard that are impossible to kill.

blueberry? Maybe..if there is enough "stump" left... have no idea about cranberry.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

I think they'll all come back.

• insteng
    10 years ago

They should come back. I have had the same problem with a in-law weedeating down my blackberries. He claims it was an accident but everytime he weedeats he cuts a different plant down.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

neptune, remove the grass from around your berries and grapes. Mulch the area, and put some chicken wire or hardware cloth tubes around the plants. Make it very clear there is "something growing here". Stake the chicken wire/hardware cloth tubes down with a piece of rebar on either side. That will prevent the errant family member from doing something dastardly to your berries and grapes. They would have to pull that all up and purposefully then destroy your plants, which is an entirely different conversation to have :-)

Patty S.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful responses, franktank232, fruitnut, insteng, and hoosierquilt. I'm glad there's hope for these plants.

I'm also glad I'm not alone in my experiences, insteng, but I'm sorry that your in-law keeps mowing down your blackberries. :( Where I live, blackberries grow like weeds, and you can't kill 'em. ;)

And thanks for the excellent suggestions on how to really foil an errant family member, Patty. :)

• ravenh2001
    10 years ago

There is a chance if you saw how hard I prune my blueberries. you would cry But maybe smile a little if you saw them the following year. Grapes also, cut to ground to replace deck/trellis. 2 years later sitting in shade on the new deck.

• nyboy
    10 years ago

Just went though same with nephew weedwacking flower bed.

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

The natural (mainly male) tendency with power tools (includes leaf blowers) is to blast everything in sight, because it is fun, or because it is a chore to be done as quickly as possible.

Gardeners beware!

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    10 years ago

OMG, so sad, but so typical. My husband hired guys to clear weeds out of our beds one spring a few years ago. We weren't home that day. One of them went into my perennial garden (which wasn't one of the beds discussed) and pulled just about everything that wasn't huge and blooming, which at that time of year was just about every plant.

Good luck with your plants. I hope they recover.

• neptune25
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ravenh2001 wrote:
    There is a chance if you saw how hard I prune my blueberries. you would cry But maybe smile a little if you saw them the following year. Grapes also, cut to ground to replace deck/trellis. 2 years later sitting in shade on the new deck.

OK, that's definitely encouraging. :)

nyboy wrote:
    Just went though same with nephew weedwacking flower bed.

I'm sorry--I guess this is a common occurrence. :(

larry_gene wrote:
    The natural (mainly male) tendency with power tools (includes leaf blowers) is to blast everything in sight, because it is fun, or because it is a chore to be done as quickly as possible. Gardeners beware!

Yeah. Perhaps those tendencies override common sense too. ;)

caryltoo wrote:
    OMG, so sad, but so typical. My husband hired guys to clear weeds out of our beds one spring a few years ago. We weren't home that day. One of them went into my perennial garden (which wasn't one of the beds discussed) and pulled just about everything that wasn't huge and blooming, which at that time of year was just about every plant.

Ouch! I hope some of them recovered at least.

Good luck with your plants. I hope they recover.

Thank you.