Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Carrie Mango need cross pollination?

Posted by kquat 09 (My Page) on
Sun, May 17, 09 at 12:21

I have a Carrie mango (mangifera indica). It had lots of flowers but I get only 2 fruits. Teachers and friends: please help me, tell me if it needs cross pollination and by what? Thank you a lot. Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Carrie Mango need cross pollination?

Carrie can be a poor producer. I doubt that a pollenizer would help, but it couldn't hurt to graft another variety on to the tree. I had a Nam Doc Mai mango planted 8 feet away from my Carrie and the Nam Doc Mai fruited heavily. I never got a single fruit from the Carrie in 10 years. Some years they got to be the size of ping pong balls before they fell off. The Nam Doc Mai would sometimes fruit so heavily that I had to thin the fruit!

o
RE: Does Carrie Mango need cross pollination?

The answer is no! Mango trees don't need cross pollination. That being said, I've seen bees, flies and other insects pollinating my flowers. Mine are still very young, and the freeze we had in Jan killed all my blooms...almost killed my trees too. Except my container Glenn, I have a few tiny(pea) size fruits on that one.

How old is your Carrie and do you grow it in a Container or in ground? Sometimes age has a lot to do with how many fruits they have. The older/mature it gets, the more fruits you should start getting.

Here's a few info on Carrie Mango...according to this website

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrie Mango

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here