Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natchez Blackberry Wilting and Sad

Posted by Buckeye85 none (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 12:23

I posted on the container forum, but it was recommended that I might get better information here.

I have a Natchez blackberry that was a sad stick last summer when I bought it, but it has turned into a sprawling, vital monster and made three babies, too. I up-potted it into a 20 gallon smart pot from its previous 3 gallon plastic pot (both were Al's 5-1-1) and trellised it.

Less than 24 hours after this, it's incredibly droopy and wilty looking, and this has not improved in the last couple of days. I did notice belatedly that the spot I built the trellis in is not as sunny as I'd like, but my husband suggested it's because the plant is not used to having to get water/nutrients "up" rather than "across."

I have no idea because I am not used to berry/trellised plants at all. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natchez Blackberry Wilting and Sad

Transplant shock is what it sounds like. Make sure you keep it watered well and wait for the shock to subside.

o

You transplant only when dormant when first go dormant best time in ground better blackberry plants are heavy feeder in pot heavy feeder plants don't grow as good not ample root contact.
A floricane plant impossible to transplant they die after fruit harvest that we see it starts before we see signs.

o

How long does shock usually take to dissipate? It's still pretty pathetic looking, unfortunately. I knew it was a bad idea...if it croaks, I still have three gigantic babies, at least, that can be transplanted when it gets cold again.

It was growing really well in its pot - 5-1-1; it's huge and has thick, leafy canes...unfortunately I have no way of planting it in ground since we're apartment dwellers.

o

Shock is just one of those unknowns.....you take two plants and move the.....one never wilts and takes off and the other croaks......you just never know. All you can do is keep it moist and shade might help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here