Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

Attn: Growers (?) How Many Bushes Do I Need?

treehugger101
10 years ago

I am growing Goji berries to replace the ones I now buy from China. I am trying to determine how many bushes I need to plant to get a minimum yield of 730 ounces of dried berries per year. Is there a way to figure this out?

Comments (11)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

Ya, divide 730 by oz dry fruit per bush....;-)

Sorry I'm pulling your leg. The link below says 30ft of row with 15 plants could yield 100 lbs. If they dry down to 20% that would be 20 lbs. So you'd need about 75ft of row with 35-40 plants.

How do they taste compared to raisins or dried cranberry? Any other dried fruit that tastes similar?

Here is a link that might be useful: Goji yield

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! fruitnut, Thanks!!! That is perfect info! I now have three plants (LOL!) so I will go on a mission for the other 35. I wonder who might sell them wholesale? I would be OK with starts.

Goji berries taste like nothing else and people either really love them or dislike them. They are not extremely tart like cranberries though they do have a mild tartness kind of similar to a sweet tart. They are not extremely sweet like raisins either. They are neither extreme. They smell sweet. I am a blackberry/blueberry fanatic of all the fruits in the world and Goji's are right up there with the Big Two in my opinion. The fact that they renew cells, give you mad energy and other things is a bonus. One small handful a day. I can't do without them and they are seriously pricey. You also can only get them from China which is extremely polluted now and does not have a food quality oversight branch like we do. It would be worth it to me plant that many assuming I can get starts.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Well crap.....they can grow here.......now I am looking up sources for bushes. Thanks a lot Treehuugger.

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

They also called wolf berries Bam.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Thanks Gator, do you grow them?

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bamboo_rabbit they are extremely easy to grow. No fertilizer needed. Just give them well drained dirt with no peat. They need a high ph of 7 or more. I had to transplant mine out of the miracle grow I originally planted them in (the link from fruitnut showed me my error in time) and as of tomorrow they will be in coir coconut mix and top soil with dolomite lime. I am growing in pots and they need big pots - at least 5 gallon to start due to deep tap roots so they are going in 10 gallons. Try some dried fruit first. We think it is to die for. I got my plants on eBay and they were huge and in flower. For my mass purchase I guess I will go with buygojiberryplants.com - the link from fruitnut. The leaves are edible too and just as nutritious for salads or tea. As for the berries - they meet 80% of your total daily nutritional requirements. I am not kidding. Oh, and they are relatively insect and disease free. Do I sound psyched?

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

No Bam but did order 2 root cuttings be here in June.
    Thanks treehugger for posting.
    In 3 years I'll have bunches lol.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Treehugger,

A friend mentioned they are astringent and leave a metallic taste in the mouth? I am assuming you don't agree with assessment? Do they need cross pollination or are they self fruitful?

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

They are self fertile. If you contain roots they stop growing. Growth can be trim to make hedge only insect I found would be tobacco horn worm.

The wolfberry plant prefers to be planted in well-drained soil with an abundant amount of organic matter. Mixing a ratio of 50 percent peat moss into the garden soil prior to planting is ideal. The plant can tolerate less then ideal soil conditions and will even thrive in sandy soils, but for the adequate productions of berries it is important to add adequate organic material to enrich the soil. Only one wolfberry plant needs to be planted because the shrub is self-fertile.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gator-rider2, according to buygojiberryplants.com, peat is to be avoided. Peat is way too acidic as they need a PH of at least 7.0. In fact, they specifically mention to avoid peat and any soils with peat in it. I am using compost, sand and top soil with some dolomite lime as recommended.

bamboo_rabbit - Aftertaste? I think all fruits do so I guess so. I tell you what they are addictive. Some people don't like them like any food but if you like them people usually LOVE them. They are very addictive. My friend makes granola with them. At least try some.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

I will, have peaked my interest.