Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick apple pruning question on newly planted tree.

Posted by OregonEd 8B, portland (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 14 at 12:28

Hello all.
I planted a Liberty apple on M26 this past winter. It is growing well.

After planting, I pruned it. However, I did not cut back the main whip leader as much as I would have liked. The tree has grown tons of new growth in the 6-12" under my heading cut, but there is a long (2-3') trunk under that which is empty. I would like more branching in the middle area. (FYI, the tree has good low branching.)

So my question, should 1:
1) Wait until next winter and head it back to where I wanted it to be
2) Go ahead now and head it back in summer time
3) leave it as is becasue the open middle part of the main leader will eventually branch out in the coming years.

I can post a picture tonight :)
Thanks -Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick apple pruning question on newly planted tree.

Read this:
Training and Pruning Your Home Orchard
http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/22166/pnw400.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Training and Pruning Your Home Orchard

o

jean001a, that is a nice article on general pruning. I have a specific question though:

Is it too late to make a heading cut on a central leader now that it is summer?

In the absence of any advice, I'll probably just leave the tree alone and let it establish itself more. I'll prune back the leader (with this summer's growth) next winter.

Here's a pic by the way.

o

Hi Ed-
I will lend some experience to my 4-1 apple. Last year my 4-1 looked like this on the main scaffold of all the 4 types. It was almost like the tree was damaged somehow but the ends were just like your tree and leafed out properly. I had probably a foot of just branch with no leafing. I waited until late November and cut them back quite substantially and it leafed out properly, flowered and now has apples. So, I would probably just let it go until dormant, then cut. It worked for me. With a tree that young its really about the root development and removing 30% of the leaves can't help early summer.

o

ConwayOrchard, thank you for the reply. You confirm that I will just let the tree settle in this season :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here