Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tips on growing strawberries from seed?

Posted by sarahkincheloe 8b austin tx (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 12:28

I bought 2 kinds of strawberry seed:

Italian Alpine Strawberry Seed
Rainbow Treasure Strawberry Seed

I know that growing strawberries in general can be a challenge in our hot climate, but my husband used to love the alpine strawberries we had in Chicago so I thought I'd give it a shot.

What time of year should I start the seeds, and any tips on how I should go about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tips on growing strawberries from seed?

Usually its just a lot easier to buy the plants already growing, as virtually all the big box stores carry a fairly wide variety (at least three or four) of strawberries already going, usually already with fruit set.

That said, the seeds of a strawberry are very small, so you don't really "plant" them in a traditional sense. You get your soil laid out, sprinkle the seeds on top of the soil, then sprinkle a very thin layer of pre-wet peat over the top of them to hold them in place.

However, it may be too late in the year to really get them going now. My advice would be to hit a Walmart or a Home Depot with a big garden center and see if they still have any plants already going.

o

Places like that don't sell alpine strawberry plants, at least not around here.
I was just wondering if there's any guide on what time of year to start them. I'm guessing late winter/early spring but didn't know if you start them a year ahead or what.

o

Right now I think would be a little late but go ahead and try and see what happens. I started some seeds 2 weeks ago and they are coming up. Some are even on their second set of leaves. The packet said to plant from Feb-May

o

I've grown Alpines long ago but can't remember much about it. You might find the video helpful and amusing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing strawberries from seed

o

I've grow a few strawberries from seed. Its not easy, but it does work. It takes a LONG time to get them going. I remember I would start them in January. There is probably some trick to it. I would say it ranks right up there with starting blueberries from seed.

o

I used the same setup last year for alpines as my tomatoes/pepper setup this year:
I just put many alpine seeds in a seed tray with flourescent lights right above (way closer than my pic in this thread since this pic has only peppers/tomatoes, so maybe a couple inches off the top of the tray, right above the humidity dome)
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29692-my-first-attempt-growing-many-hot-peppers/.
I made sure to keep theem moist and not allow tops to dry out. and removed humidity dome when they got a bit bigger

I had couple hundred alpine plants by time I was done.
I'd like to give a shout out and thank Mike from thestrawberrystore.com for giving me the fluorescent lights when i went to visit and pickup an order of plants from him.

o

Bad news. Of the 10 sprouts that came up and were doing good yesterday was windy and I came out this morning to find all but 2 brown and dead. I dont know if it was from heat or wind or both but the soil was not dry or too wet. So now Ive got 2 nice little sprouts. Im actually thinking about forgetting the seed thing and buying some plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here