Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
edible fruits with red/purple foliage?

Posted by canokie 7a (OK) (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 12:29

I love the look of the Purple Leaf Sand Cherry, but would prfer to plant something that will provide fruit as well. What would you recommend? I live in the Oklahoma City area, zone 7a, with hot summers, periods of drought (I don't mind watering though) and clay soil that tends toward alkaline.

I like sweet rather than astringent fruits and the more productive the better. Also, smaller is good for my yard - I'm looking for a bush or small tree.

I look forward to everyone's suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: edible fruits with red/purple foliage?

I heard purple leaf plums fruit sometimes. Do a google search on all the purple leaf plums in Oregon. They were NOT supposed to fruit so they were planted all over the city streets and now they are producing tons of fruit..lol

o

I suggest then you consider growing bananas. Do some googling to get an idea what can be done in 7a. Try google bananas in Oklahoma I think there might be several post on other forums.

o

Oh man I love homegrown bananas!! They are the best!

o

• Posted by AJBB none (My Page) on
    Sun, May 6, 12 at 15:57

Look into a nectaplum. Purple new foliage turning green as it matures. The tree is a deep purple in the spring.

o

Flat Wonderful is a purple-leafed flat peach. I think there are a few other purple-leafed peach trees.

Scott

o

fedco has offered a fruiting purple leaf hybrid plum in years past....can't remeber what it was named right now

o

Both Burnt Ridge and Raintree carry a purple-leafed plum called Hollywood.

o

Whoah. Nectaplum with PLC. Trip out.

http://plant.daleysfruit.com.au/l/nectaplum-bubbly-leaf-5913.jpeg

o

I planted a SpiceZee Nectaplum last year in clayish soil and Im in zone 7a, grew super fast compared to other things i planted. It has purple leaves in spring/summer and towards end of summer they turn more green.

Plant doesn't like high humidity I read though.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 10:20

Okie,

You may want to be cautious about planting Asian plums and/or their interspecific crosses.

I'm one state north of you and have given up on earlier blooming fruits. Here, most Asian plums and apricots bloom just early enough for the flowers to get caught by the last freeze.

I suspect OK is the same. If so, you could expect a crop 1 out of every 3-5 years.

Peaches are much more reliable here. That little extra time it takes them to wake up after winter seems to make a significant difference.

As Scott mentioned, Flat Wonderful peach may be a good choice. It has a lot of nice qualities for a home orchard. One disadvantage is it's difficult to keep it from growing straight up (very vigorous).

Here's a pic of one in my backyard (3rd leaf)

o

Nice!!

o

There are several breeds of pepper that have purple foliage. Of the larger edible ones, the Black Cuban springs to mind.

o

Hollywood is a nice edible purple-leaved plum. I have it on my 4-1.

o

Several of the red-fleshed crabs have red/purple foliage - but they'll be crappy in zone 7.
I know; a respected orchardist told me that they would be, here in zone 6. I planted 'em anyway. He was right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here