Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there any remedial treatment for transplant shock?

Posted by albert_135 Sunset 2 or 3 (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 12:37

Is there any remedial treatment for transplant shock?

I got two dry root Damson plumb. Transplanted the first of May in the same soil and light with the same water etc. One appears to be thriving. The other had new leaves partially out of the bud which have dried up. The best read online that I have found is 10 Tips For Minimizing Transplant Shock - Secrets To Successful Transplanting - Northscaping Info Zone Article

Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there any remedial treatment for transplant shock?

The only part written in this fine article I disagree with is the following, "Devote the first year to promoting healthy root growth by mixing a root-boosting fertilizer such as bonemeal, bloodmeal or a micorrhyzal stimulant with the planting soil, and stay away from high-nitrogen fertilizers until the plants are fully settled in, i.e. at least one full growing season."

First, because bloodmeal is a high N fertilizer and is capable of burning roots when incorporated (been there, done it) and second, that mychorizal stimulants have not proven affective in normal soils where other trees are already established. Finally, the idea that bonemeal stimulates root growth I believe to be passe. N. stimulates all growth, including roots but isn't useful until the roots are recovered enough to generate vigorous growth again.

N applications can sometimes increase growth of first year transplants if they are in active new growth but should be applied to the surface after this growth is apparent if more stimulus is desired. This shouldn't be done after mid-summer, although very late summer applications can be made to stimulate growth next spring.

I don't think there's anything much you can do to speed recovery of the one suffering from the transplant besides making sure it suffers no further stress- like drought, but you already know that. Chances are it will come in great next year, and with plums sometimes even in the second half of this season.

Keep aphids and leaf hoppers from feeding on growing shoots.

o

I am one of the folks who soaks bare root fruit plants in a tub/pot/vat of water enhanced with Super Thrive for a day or 2 before planting them. I do the same for potted plants also before transpotting them to a bigger pot....or before they get their final move into the ground. The results continue to justify the soaking........ after doing this every year for a decade.

o

And for another take on the efficacy of Superthrive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hort myths

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here