Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Leaf Curl

Posted by lawanddisorder 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 12:39

Hi,

I am so bummed. I woke up today and checked on my trees and noticed one of my peach trees (flavorcrest variety) is infected with peach leaf curl.

The new shoots have leaves about 1 to 1.5 inches and some of the shoots are worse than others. We had rain the past couple days and lower temperatures and I guess it encouraged the fungal growth.

Is there anything I can do to it now to make it go away? I know the ideal time to treat it is in early winter after leaves fall, which I did, with a copper fungicide...any idea why I was unsuccesful at preventing it this year? I don't think it was even affected last year; I was just being overly careful - at least that was what I thought.

Even if there is nothing I can do to rid the tree of it now, what should I do to help the tree grow this summer while it is infected?

Does this mean I won't get any fruit this year? It had a ton of flowers and looked like it had a bunch of fruit buds. I have had it for a full year now, and I suspect it was s few years old before I got it. It is approx 6 feet tall.

I realize I asked a ton of questions, here, but any info on peach leaf curl would be appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Leaf Curl

You probably reduced it some with that spray, but maybe the timing was too early/too late...or not strong enough...could try lime sulfur next year... Depends on how bad it is...if its only some of the leaves, it should still hold fruit, if its a lot of leaves..not so sure. Feed the tree with high N ferts...it'll push new leaves...try to get rid of the infected leaves.

o

As far as I know,nothing can be done right now.I've heard the infected leaves can fall off and be replaced by new ones.
The fruit probably won't be infected this year,but left unchecked,could be in the future.
I used Bonide's Fung-onil that has 29% Chlorothalonil and it still is appearing on a couple of branches of a Nectarine. Brady

o

Try this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Fixing Leaf curl in season

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 20:26

Greyim,

I believe that picking off the curl affected leaves has been discredited.

In many cases healthy leaves will grow back the same season whether the infected leaves are picked off or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here