Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New grafted tree growing buds not branches.

Posted by pinc06 6b (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 12:44

I'm new to grafting this year but so far it looks like I've had good success rates. All my whip and tongue grafts are growing, cleft grafts are lagging but still seem alive. The tree in question is a cutting from a Granny Smith apple that has struggled for years without producing for me. I now know that my pruning held it back, but in order to get rid of wooly apple aphids I grafted a nice scion onto Geneva 222 rootstock (wooly apple resistant, semidwf size), It took quickly, but now the new growth has turned in flower buds. I'm guessing I need to let it be as I don't want to take off the only source of gathering sunlight to turn into food, but those flower buds are throwing me for a loop. Is this normal?

Thank you to all the experienced grafters out there who helped me have the courage to even try this. I'm hooked and will keep doing more.

Pam in cinti

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New grafted tree growing buds not branches.

Pam,
I normally wait until it is tight cluster with some small leaves come out then pinch of all the flowering buds. You want all the energy going to the scion growth.

Tony

o

Duplicate.

This post was edited by tonytran on Sat, May 18, 13 at 14:01

o

Thanks Tony

I'm new to apples and wasn't sure what would happen, but what you say makes sense to me. Tree is only 14" high including rootstock, so I know flowering would suck the life right out of it.

Pam in cinti

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here