Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wilting black raspberries

Posted by guate z4 nh (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 12:45

Went out to check on the black raspberries and they looked fine until I checked the new shoots comming up. They are all wilted. I cut one off and opened it to fined a tiny worm. I guess I should have sprayed the new growth a couple of weeks ago. Now should I cut all the infected shoots out or will they overcome the pest and if I cut them out will the plants send up new shoots. Thanks for any experience you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wilting black raspberries

Another picture of the wilting

o

That's a shame. Typical of cane borer damage; the larva chews a ring around the cane just under the surface, everything above the ring wilts. Other varieties of caneberry nearby can remain unaffected.

Cut and destroy the affected shoots just below the wilt. If there are any leaf nodes below that point, the cane might still grow, the branches will be smaller than the original cane but can produce berries next year.

It is probably getting late in the season for blackcaps to put up any more new shoots.

Do a search on control of cane borers and better luck next year. I have had up to 50% canes wilted, but none this year.

o

"It is probably getting late in the season for blackcaps to put up any more new shoots. "

Well maybe where you live, i have some still dormant in zone 6a. The guy here is in 4!
Man I won't be able to grow them if they quit before they even start!

o

Primocane emergence is not a lengthy process, and those pictured above were well on their way. More sprouts are possible there, but I would not rely completely on more sprouts for next year's berries by complete removal of the damaged canes.

The beetle that causes that damage certainly went right to work; my canes are usually knee to waist high before getting attacked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here