Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Best online sources for ordering?

alisande
9 years ago

My husband and I always ordered our fruit trees through the mail from Stark Bros. and were happy with them. I haven't bought any kind of tree in many years, but my son and I are thinking of planting a couple, perhaps a peach and a plum or cherry.

Stark has some on sale on their website, but before I order I thought I'd ask if there are other sources I should be looking at.

Also, Stark offers "supreme" options. For example, they'll have a variety in Semi-Dwarf and also Supreme Semi-Dwarf. I can't find anything on their website to explain what Supreme is. Do you know?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Ya, it's added profit margin and little else. I'd skip the supreme option.

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

Can you wait until late this year to order for next spring? This is rather late for ordering bare root trees. Don't know what they have in stock. Many good nurseries may not have many good choices left, either.

Stark Bros.seems to have mixed reviews on this forum.

Make sure you look into pollination before you buy one tree each. Peach is fine. Many plum and cherry need cross pollination.

• johnthecook
    9 years ago

I bought the disease resistant trees trio from Stark. Liberty, Gold Rush, and Enterprise and was happy with what I got from them.

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

Here's the definition:

Stark Supreme Treeî
    If you would like a head start on growing one of our dwarf, semi-dwarf or standard bare-root trees, upgrade to one of these larger selections. Our experts comb the fields and handpick these top-grade, robust trees. When shipped to you, they are approximately 4-5' tall with a 5/8" or larger trunk diameter.

• alisande
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I used to do well planting bare-root roses this time of year (and later), but perhaps trees are different. I'll read up on my options. I appreciate the tip about pollination--one of the many things I've forgotten about growing fruit.

• curtis
    9 years ago

You are fine doing bare root trees now especially in Zone 4. Stark is fine, but I expect 2 years from now the supreme and a runt will look about the same. If they have varieties you like, buy them. Raintree Nursury is another to check. Cummins has quit shipping bare roots for this year. I got a few of their final closeout pears.

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

To me, the one big difference between planting roses and fruit trees are the planting depth.

I've planted my roses up to a foot deep to protect against cold weather. Most fruit trees, you need to plant them with their graft unions a few inches above ground.

• alisande
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your responses are very helpful--thanks!

One more question: With bare-root roses, I would soak the roots in a 5-gallon pail for at least 24 hours before planting. Is this a good practice with fruit trees as well? Or should we have the holes all dug and ready to go when the trees arrive?

• valgor
    9 years ago

Not sure what part of the country you are in, but check out Maple Valley Orchards, located in Wisconsin. I am very happy with their trees, and they have hundreds of varieties, heirlooms and newer.

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

Planting instructions I got from a few reputable nurseries that I ordered the trees from say to soak it, up to 4-5 hours but not over 24 hours. I don't know where I keep those booklets now.

I believe in hydrating the roots so I soaked mine in buckets of water while I was digging the holes. So they got soaked any where from 15-20 mins to 2-3 hours depending on when I could get them in the ground.

Some people say they never soak bare root trees. I think as long as the roots are not allowed to dry out and that you water a tree well at planting time, you'll be fine.

I definitely clear weed/grass of the planting holes for at least 3 ft in diameter and mulch after planting.

• alisande
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This may very well end up being a project for next year. It was a nice idea on my son's part, but obviously I need to do some reading first.

Valgor, I checked out Maple Valley and am especially interested in their scionwood. I didn't realize it could be purchased that way. Lots to think about.

Thanks!