Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Orangered apricot, greenhouse trellis, pic and observations 2014

Now harvesting in the greenhouse. Still the great flavor noted last year. But this yr I'm noting that there is a slight tartness at the skin which I like. Also the skin has a bit of crunch to it which I also like. I can hear it when I chew. Only about 40 grams but that's twice Sweet Treat plurrey. Brix is running 20-24. I'm sure outside I can get 25-30 brix but not needed on this fruit. It's one of my favorites of the whole year.

Only negative so far other than very high chilling requirement(I did 1270 Utah chill hrs this year) is the fruit is dropping this yr when ripe. But most apricots do that. With high chilling it matures before Robada. Last yr without enough chilling bloom was delayed and it ripened after Robada. I'd prefer after.

Here's a picture of Orangered on my new greenhouse trellis installed this winter. The tree was dug up in Jan/Feb and moved to the trellis. I left about 15-20 fruit on the tree spaced about 6ft by 4ft.

{{gwi:97754}}

Another picture of tree and fruit. The fruit is orange with strong red blush in the sun.

{{gwi:97756}}

The fruit

{{gwi:97759}}

Comments (19)

• Tony
    9 years ago

Very nice FN. Hopefully in two years or so my OR grafts will fruit and I can have the chance to taste them. I will let you know about my Sugar Pearls apricot taste in about a month and a half. BTW, your photos of the green house just tempted me want to build one, but not sure if the home owner association allows me to build one on a 27 holes golf course.LOL.

Tony

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tony:

Your place and trees always look so neat and beautiful. A greenhouse would probably bring on the HOA patrol.

My Sugar Pearls outside is a strange growing tree. It's about as likely to send a branch down as up. I've a small specimen inside I hope will fruit next year. Neither had even one blossom this year.

• MrClint
    9 years ago

Looking good! That many chill hours wouldn't work here. What's the size on those 'cots?

Original Author
    9 years ago

The Orangered are about 40 grams. Robada is probably about 60 by comparison. I'll have ripe Robada within a week. Am about done with Honey May nectarines. They have been running 120-150 g and 18-19 brix. They're good but not as good tasting as the Orangered.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Sun, May 11, 14 at 19:24

• franktank232
    9 years ago

Look great.

I bought some Red Velvet apricots at the store yesterday. I found them to be excellent. Stratifying the seed to see if I can get them to sprout yet this year. I believe they are a true plumcot (half/half)...

Original Author
    9 years ago

Frank:

I'm saving seeds from all my apricots this year. How do you stratify without rotting the seed?

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Fruitnut, thanks for the report. I am looking forward to your Orangered/Rovada comparison this year. I have a few Rovada for the first time this year so I will be comparing as well.

BTW you should try out the new NJ J21-107 which I heard was released this year and ACN was selling. It was similar in quality to Orangered for me last year.

Scott

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Scott, I'll try that new cot next year if I can find it. I'm also going to try Hoyt Montrose if I can find that. Plus anything else that sounds good. I'm not sure I can fruit Orangered or Robada outside due to lack of chilling so need more varieties.

• franktank232
    9 years ago

I've had good luck with paper towel/ziploc for apricot. They seem to stratify so quickly that they don't have as many issues with mold. Just keep an eye on them, because i've had them start growing long roots while in the refrigerator.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Frank, as early as it is I think I'll stratify as I harvest and try to get them going this year.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Ever hear of or try the Afghanistan Apricot?I bought a scion from Robert Purvis,which was limited to 6 inches per customer.I was getting some other things and read the info and it looked interesting.
    Here is what it said.Afghanistan(Summerland E-43-12):Tree self fruitful; flower buds not hardy below -20F.Fruit is "medium sized, white fleshed apricot with whitish skin and a red cheek.It seems to be regarded by all who have tasted it,including the scientists who have specialized in apricots at the Summerland,BC research station,as one of the sweetest,most luscious,and best flavored.The flesh is too tender for commercial use.It was one of several seedlings brought into the U.S.A from Tehran,Iran in 1957 by Dr Karl O.Lapins,head plant breeder at Summerland." Afghanistan has shown some disease resistance in Maryland and Massachusetts. Brady

Original Author
    9 years ago

Brady:

That sounds interesting. Did you just buy it this year? Any luck grafting?

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

I have grown Afghanistan for almost ten years (I think I am the Maryland grower in Bob's comment). Its a very good white apricot but has not been productive for me. One thing I have found is you need to be patient with some apricots, while most fruit quickly the whites and the Pakistani types take a lot longer. My Zard didn't fruit well until this year. I prefer Zard to all the other whites, but there are several good ones. Zard also blooms late; most varieties described as late I don't notice being any later but Zard is more lining up with the early peaches than the apricots.

Scott

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

Fruitnut. I have been waiting for your report and pics of 'Orangered' again this year. You just look at the picture and you can taste them. The brix is superb. I wish I had room for yet one more apricot. Orangered would be my choice. Over whelmed currently with spring planting. Finally had the orchard mowed yesterday! Mrs. G

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

fruitnut,
    I received them in April and grafted part of it with no indication yet.I was thinking of sending the other half your way.The conditions are probably better than mine as I'm sure is your grafting ability.I'd also like your evaluation.Is it too late to graft there?
    Thanks also Scott for your report. Brady

Original Author
    9 years ago

Brady:

Not too late to graft here. And I have some K1 rootstocks that might work, depends on caliper. My grafting is OK, not great.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

Okay,I can send it.I'd like to use up about three buds and try another graft,but that should leave enough for about two more.
    Here's a photo,if nothing else,a side or cleft graft can be done.
    I think I have your address from an earlier email. Brady

Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't short yourself. I've got lots of stuff to work with. And I'll be buying lots of cots next winter to replace what got frozen this spring. Do what's best for you.

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Too bad you weren't asking a month ago, I pruned off many pounds from my tree and threw them on the compost pile. BTW Bob also sells trees so you can probably buy a tree from him next spring.

Scott

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations