Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Persimmon fruit set on young tree

Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 12:53

I have an Asian persimmon planted in ground (Saijo) which is about 3 years old and still small and sparse -- I confess that in the first 2 years I hadn't watered it much.

Well this spring it blossomed like crazy and it appears the blossoms have set quite a bit of immature fruit. My concern is that there are about as many little fruits as there are leaves, and I'm no persimmon expert but I seriously doubt there are enough leaves to support the fruit on this little tree. Not to mention that once the fruits are mature there is no way such a small and weak tree could support the weight of all that fruit!

Should I be thinning the fruits? If so, should I thin them all until the tree has grown more or should I leave a few?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Persimmon fruit set on young tree

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, May 19, 13 at 13:27

Persimmon is one fruit I'd suggest waiting to see what drops, probably 3-4 weeks. Your tree might drop every one and mine always drops some. If it holds some fruit thin so that the tree can easily support the remaining fruit. And if you want to be conservative cut them all off now. I'd save at least one or two.

o

Leave the fruits alone, please!
It will drop them itself if it cannot support them. Persimmon branches are very flexible and strong, they will hold even heavy loads of fruits. Your tree is going to be just fine!

o

Avgusta is correct. I have a Fuyu and some years it drops most of the fruit and other years only about 30%. I have read that based upon stress placed on the tree, i.e. too little or too much water, inconsitent water or temperature extremes, the drop-off will be greater.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here