Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit tree varieties that bear fruit the youngest?

Posted by thisisme az9b (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 12:56

In my small backyard orchard Apricots, Figs, mulberries and native plums have borne reasonable crops of fruit in their first or second year after planting.

Are there any other fruit trees that bear fruit their first or second year? Keep in mind they need to be able to take extreme heat and sun in high salt high alkaline soil with water that is also high in salt and alkaline also. If at all possible I prefer low maintenance trees that can take living in this kind of low desert 100+ degree temperature extreme environment.

P.S.

I don't need any more citrus trees.

I love peaches but have given up on them in our heat as I am unable to make them happy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit tree varieties that bear fruit the youngest?

Pomegranates?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, May 22, 13 at 14:44

Some of the jujube I planted last year bloomed and bore fruit immediately. Sugar Cane was my favorite of those.

Pomegranates do love hot dry conditions. I'm not sure they'd bear the first year but probably the second.

They grow early maturing grapes in the Coachella valley of CA. That's at least as hot as Phoenix. If you get a lot of growth the first year a reasonable harvest begins the second year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coachella valley table grapes

o

Pomegranates and Persimmon gave fruit by the 2nd year I've planted them.

o

My proprietary two year old second-generation moorpark apricot seedling produced 10 apricots this year..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here